St. Michael’s Church, Ballylongford, Co.Kerry.
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Michael was dedicated in 1871, built in the Hiberno-Romanesque style to the design of J.J. McCarthy. The Church contains a number of stained glass windows, one of which was donated by The O’Rahilly family, important local merchants in the town. Michael O’Rahilly (The O’Rahilly) would later become a key participant in the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin
The Old School, Ballylongford, Co.Kerry
Father Michael O’Sullivan, Parish Priest, was responsible for building the school in 1871. It was extended in 1883 and closed in April 1977. In turn, it was succeeded by St. Oliver’s National School, which was erected in the Church grounds. Only the site of the old school remains.
The Mill, Ballylongford, Co.Kerry
The substantial four story O’Sullivan’s Mill, located along Quay Street, was started during the famine around 1840s and was not completed until 1850s.
The Creamery in Ballylongford which is on Quay Street was built in 1899, burnt down in 1927 and rebuilt in 1933. Creameries were once a hub of economic and social activity in rural towns and villages across Ireland. Ballylongford creamery closed in 1998
Tara Cinema on Main Street, Ballylongford, was opened in 1956 by Johnny Walsh, the great Kerry footballer, in what was formerly an egg-packing premises owned by his family. The first film shown was “The Kidnappers” starring Duncan McRea. Like most other rural cinemas, The Tara Cinema fell victim to Teilifis Eireann and closed its doors in 1971
Like every village in Ireland, the GAA in Ballylongford has played a huge part in the life of the community. Between 1932-1939 the local club rented a field in Main Street, from the McEllistrem family. It was bought in 1940 from the McEllistrem family. In 1949 the Eddie Carmody Memorial Hall was voluntarily built by the local community. A stand was added in 1981
Heaphy’s Centra Ballylongford